LIANG DYNASTY, DATED TO AD543, BASE AND COVER DATED TO QING DYNASTY (1644-1911)
LENGTH OF INKSTONE: 18CM;
LENGTH OF COVER: 18.7CM
The inkstone is made from a single moulded brick. A scroll-shaped well is carved on the top, creating a smooth surface for grinding the ink. Two opposite sides have partial details of scrolling dragons and on the right side there is an inscription which reads, ‘The ninth, a guihai, year in the Datong (Great Harmony) of the Liang dynasty’ 梁大同九年癸亥.
The inkstone is fitted with a hongmu base and cover. The cover is carved with the inscription:
|梁大同九年磗硯專硯||Brick Inkstone dated the ninth year of the Datong era of the Liang dynasty.|
|叔孺道兄屬題||Inscription done by Elder Brother in the Dao Shuru|
Zhao Shigang 趙時棡 (1874-1945), personal names Xianzhen 獻枕 or Shuru 叔孺, sobriquets Renchang 紉長 and in later years Ernu 二弩, was a native of Yin County 鄞縣, Zhejiang but lived in Shanghai. A minor official, he served as subprefectural magistrate in Fujian toward the end of the Qing and with the end of the dynasty lived on private means in Shanghai. He was an expert engraver of inscriptions on metal and stone, and a fine calligrapher and painter, especially known for his horse paintings. In later life he turned to the painting of flowers and plants, birds and animals, shrubbery and insects, and in seal carving he first followed the Zhe School and later venerated Deng Shiru and Zhao Zhiqian as his teachers and went back to the Qin and Han for his models. He had a rich collection of art objects and antiquities and was an excellent connoisseur.
Fu Shi 傅栻 (1850-1903), personal name Jiezi 節子, sobriquet Kelu 薖廬 studio name Hua yannian shi 華延年室 (Chamber for a Thriving Prolonged Life), was a prominent seal collector, who compiled and published several seal catalogues, of which the most important is the Xiling liujia yinpu 西泠六家印譜 (Catalogue of Seals Carved by Six Masters From the Xiling Bridge District [Hangzhou]).